Monday, July 4, 2011

Brute Strength Star-Spangled Classic

The past two contests - The Capital Classic in Reston and the the JF Hurley YMCA in Salisbury, NC, weren't my best showing. I made too many mistakes at Reston, hurt myself, and just wasn't recovered enough 2 weeks later in NC.

My training since then has been consistent, but not necessarily my best. I've been busy moving into a new house, and moving the gym as well, and all the related stress from that. I did hit a few small PRs - 520 Deadlift, and a nice climb on the yoke. Pressing has been solid and consistent, getting my log rep work up around 190 for triples.

At the Star-Spangled classic, the group of competitors was small - only three of us in the 200's. I was hoping to see a particular competitor who is around my ability level, and always gives me something good to shoot for, but no dice.

Event 1 - Yoke, 660# for 75'. Slow, but steady. Not dropping it was my goal, and I didn't. Speed will have to come later. First place.

Event 2 - Keg Press. 180-200-240. The 180 keg was definitely harder than I thought it would be. The clean was more challenging than I was anticipating, and leaning back more than usual, had a hard time keeping back to my heels. First clean, I couldn't press it, didn't even really try. Second attempt, I went for a split jerk and got it. Went on to the 200, an easier clean, but no dice on the press. I noticed from the video that the elbow position looks awkward, I'll play around with dropping the elbow some. 2nd Place.

Event 3 - Car Deadlift hold. The Car thankfully went up easy enough, but the hold was a challenge. My straps slipped pretty quickly, and my biceps were hurting within the first 10 seconds. I dropped when they started to hurt a little too bad. I like to call this the Rich City Revenge. Myself, Danny, and Joey all scratched the car deadlift at the Capital Classic, and managed to get it this time. I managed to hold on long enough to land first. The stress here seemed pretty unique, and seemed mostly a test of hip stability for most, and just general tolerance to pain. i'd like to build one of these, but they take up a lot of room for such limited function, The farmers DL hold in training seemed to replicate the grip/pain of the car dl, but the hips seemed more stable.

Event 4 - Immovable Truck Pull. The title says it all. No one budged it.

Event 5 - Tire Flip. 500-625-700, 3 flips each. After Reston, and the botched tire there, and being relatively slow on other tires, I was nervous. Also hadn't had good opportunities to train the tire lately. Thankfully, everything went smoothly, no big snags on the flips. 500 was easy, the 625 had some difficult hand holds, and the 700 had awesome hand holds. I believe this would be the heaviest tire I've flipped. I noticed a lot of folks slowing down on the 625, especially the sumo flippers. First.

I was happy to get my first win here. Looking forward to Delaware's Strongest 10/1.

No comments: