Sunday, October 30, 2011

Log PR, last training post before Nationals 2011

So, the time is finally here. I'm one week out from the last contest I'll be doing in what has been my busiest year for competing.

It's been a year of ups and downs, but ultimately I've seen the largest gains since I was a beginner, putting another 200# on my yoke, 25# on my log, and just recently, getting comfortable getting a 20" stone out of my lap. I also bombed two unsanctioned contests earlier in the year, and got my first first place finish.

In the context of the past 3-4 years since I began strongman (first touched the implements Nov/Dec 2007), this year has been significant. My first couple years, I went to contests expecting to scratch (miss) the overhead event. I also went knowing that my strength levels weren't up to par with any of the guys (even smaller local shows), and that my only saving grace was a little bit of speed, conditioning, and a knack for doing light-ish stones to high platforms kind of fast. All of the above actually helped me to a few respectable finishes. I came to appreciate strongman's way testing strength, power, speed, and conditioning, not to mention preparation and skill, in a variety of ways. But, I never felt quite like a competitor - I was more the perpetual underdog.

As fun as being the underdog is, and getting all of the comments about how my looks don't match my capacity, this was the year I was able to go to contests knowing that I could hang with some solid competitors on all fronts. I scratched the overhead event ~5 contests in a row. And that was back when the log was typically at 200# - not the 220+ we see now at local events, or the 250 that will be at Nationals. I haven't scratched an overhead event this year, and that's included two circus dumbbells (115-120), and 220 log. In some contests, I actually wasn't last either on the press event (gasp).

Whatever happens at Nationals, this has been a great year. Preparation has paid off, and I'm looking forward to 2012.

No comments: